Monday, June 4, 2012

Plugging along

Well, today we´re going to Uruguay. I´ll make sure to take pictures. So I had never noticed before but there´s a big Angel Moroni really close by our apartment on a telephone post.  He´s got wings - and real angels don´t of course - but he´s got a trumpet and it´s definitely supposed to be him. In the other Elder's area, there´s a Zion street, a Zarahemla street and Brigham Young and Joseph Smith have their own streets too.
We had three investigators in Sacrament meeting yesterday. The group of people we´re teaching is really growing. The district president wants to do some visits with us later this week and also has a reference for us.          
My companion says I use some words that no other American uses. In other words I´m developing a good vocabulary. I´ve started reading Church manuals to find out how to speak more intellectually and I read Donald Duck comics to find out how teenagers speak.  
This week the married couple missionaries -The Philipellis (Brazilans) - came to Quarai. They´re going to serve in the three branches here. My companion and I did visits with them a few nights ago. They are going to be able to help with the unmarried couples. These missionaries have already helped many people get married.  
The mission President visited for interviews yesterday. We talked about how this year can really be something special.
There´s really nothing better than a mission. It´s great to really help and get to understand people. I´ve also never laughed so hard in my life as I have some nights in the apartment after planning sessions. Six missionaries in one apartment is alot of fun. One bathroom on the other hand is tough. Rick: I found out the mission president is one of the biggest Whitney Houston fans ever. He´s now not as intimidating as he once was.
   Luke´s right when he says it´s special to hear someone´s first prayer. I always get a little emotional because it´s so easy to feel the spirit in those moments. I also really try my best to take advantage of those few moments during the sacrament each week.
   The couple that I baptised back in Tancredo Neves has already gone to the temple to do baptisms for the dead. We´ve starting to exchange letters so that I can always check up on them.
Today we´re going to eat lunch at the missionary couples house. CHURRASCO! Then we´re going with them to Uruguay. This last week there was an activity where we missionaries watched "Up" with people from the three branches. I don´t know what it is but I love watching movies in Portuguese. There´s something about the accents. The Church films are awesome in Portuguese. It´s funny though because there´s that Church film "Finding Faith in Christ" and the guy they got to do Jesus´voice is terrific - but - when he goes to do the parable about leaving the ninety and nine for the one lost sheep, he´s supposed to say "When he has found it, he carries it on his shoulders, rejoicing" instead he says "When he has found it, he carries it on his shoulders, delicious" You can tell when the guy reading the lines sort of thinks to himself "wait...that can´t be right."
I love you all. I´ll fill you in on other things later.
Love
- Devin.

No comments:

Post a Comment